Monday 19 August 2024

Abigail's Party


Abigail's Party, Norwich Theatre Royal, 2017.

Cast: Amanda Abbington, Ben Caplan, Charlotte Mills, Ciaran Owens, Rose Keegan.

Writer: Mike Leigh
Director: Sarah Esdaile

I hated this so much I promised myself I'd never go and see another production of it. It was bitter and nasty, not the retro 70s thing we think it might be. Looking back at all the Mike Leigh stuff I've seen on stage I think it's time to admit he doesn't work for me and I've probably just been pretending to like him because he's the kind of creative that a Guardian reader should love. Sorry Mike, I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dick Whittington

Dick Whittington , London Palladium, 2017. Cast: Julian Clary, Elaine Paige, Ashley Banjo & Diversity, Paul Zerdin, Nigel Havers, Gary W...